07 March 2008

Obama May Win More Texas Delegates than Clinton

I knew the caucus votes had yet to be counted but I hadn't seen the numbers until I read this piece.

Primary Results
Clinton: 51% of votes for 65 delegates
Obama: 48% of votes for 61 delegates

Caucus Results so far (44% counted so far)
Clinton: 44%
Obama: 56%

If these percentages hold for the remainder of the caucus votes, Clinton will gain 29 more delegates and Obama will gain 38 more. That will give the following totals:

Clinton: 94
Obama: 99

So far the pattern is that Obama wins in urban areas and Clinton wins in rural areas. I don't know about the geographic distribution of the remaining caucus votes, but I do remember one analyst mentioning that the "late" (i.e. caucus) votes will favor Obama. If this turns out to be true, Obama may indeed win more Texas delegates than Clinton.

No comments: