02 April 2007

WestEnder Achieves Hypoxic Milestone

Yesterday, without any planning, forethought, or warning, I reached a milestone.

I fainted for the first time.

I got home in the evening, did some work, then watched Sunday night TV with a few brewskies. After a while I lied down on the couch and dozed off. About an hour later I got up and walked down around. I rapidly became dizzy and then VERY dizzy. I realized I had to sit down so I turned to walk back to the couch.

I didn't make it.

Next thing I remember I was lying on the floor face down. I didn't know what happened or why I was on the ground. I was confused and disoriented. I remember thinking I still needed to get to the couch to lie down, so I got up and tried to make it over there. I don't remember exactly what happened, but I remember stumbling around like I was drunk, stoned, tripping, and brain damaged. I was holding on to furniture to make it to the couch.

Didn't make it.

Next thing I remember I was lying on the floor, face up this time. I was between the couch and the wall. I got up and lied down on the couch. I was breathing hard and sweating. I remember wondering if I was having a heart attack or stroke. Was I pulling a Hank Gathers?

I saw CDs, papers, books and magazines all over the floor. I realized I had lost consciousness again and knocked over things on the way down to the floor.

Needless to say, I went down hard both times. I've got a forehead bruise and a handsome gash under one eye. And I jammed a finger. And this morning I noticed raspberries on my shoulder and knee.

I don't know why this happened, but I do remember that I started feeling a bit odd much earlier in the afternoon, after I ate some leftover Mediterranean Pizza from Trio. Maybe their magic ingredient lowers blood pressure. I have no known food allergies so I doubt that's the explanation (and I'll eat anything so I should know by now) .

I don't know why it happened. Weird, huh?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a kid I fainted a lot in Church (insert joke). I had to be tested for diabetes which takes a while but isn't that bad. If you have insurance, definitely have that checked out.

K. said...

that doesn't sound normal for an otherwise healthy young adult. get that checked out, buddy...

Anonymous said...

There's plenty of other reasons for fainting spells (for all the testing I had for diabetes, I never came up positive).

TravisG said...

Sounds like somebody needs to invest in a fainting couch. No, seriously, you should go to the doctor and I hope it was just the beer and magical pizza ingredients.