25 September 2006

Bengal Gets Arrested, vol. XXIV (UPDATED!)

*sigh*

Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman was arrested early Monday on a drunken driving charge. Thurman, already serving a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, registered 0.18 percent on a blood-alcohol test - more than twice the legal limit of 0.08 percent, police said.


UPDATE:

Coach Lewis: "I think for Odell, it's disappointing, for me, it's disappointing for our program, for all of our fans," Lewis said. "He just obviously doesn't understand the privilege and right to play in the National Football League. This will probably be dealt with very severely ... no question by the league."

Thurman was driving with at least two teammates in a 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe when he was stopped by police in the East End at 3:05 a.m. The vehicle is owned by Bengals rookie wide receiver Reggie McNeal, who was a passenger, said a source at the scene. Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry was a passenger and threw up out a window of the vehicle.

The NFL Substance Abuse Policy is clear: If a player under a four-game suspension (Stage 2)is found to have violated his treatment program, he automatically advances to Stage 3. A third violation carries a minimum of a one-year banishment from the league.
[WKRC.com]


Three observations:

(1) Thurman is already under suspension, and under NFL rules he is not allowed to be on the field during games. But he's still part of the team and was in Pittsburgh for the game on Sunday. So even though he didn't play, he still partied hard in celebration. Just seems funny to me to celebrate when your only contribution was making sure you couldn't contribute. If it were me I would have gone home alone and ashamed that I let down my team, my coach, my family and my friends. And so would most of the athletes I've known, I'm sure.

(2) Thurman led the team in tackles last season and made 5 interceptions. He's a valuable player we're about to lose.

(3) Chris Henry in the middle of things again. He opens a window and throws up after being pulled over. In the future I might take a stab at an philosophical perspective on Chris Henry but for now I'll just open it up to suggestions.

1 comment:

K. said...

This is a good football team. These antics are total nonsense.

This is a coach's fault...you need to get control of your players and curb this ridiculous behavior. You can't win games if your star receivers throwing up on a cop and getting tossed in jail.